January 29, 2019
Great principals lead great schools and have a profound impact on a school’s students, teachers and the community as a whole. The Learning Partnership
is pleased to recognize 30 exceptional educators from across the country as Canada’s Outstanding Principals of 2019.
Now celebrating its 15th
year, The Learning Partnership’s Canada’s Outstanding Principals
program recognizes the unique and vital contributions of principals in publicly funded schools. The 30 principals, nominated by parents, colleagues and community members, and chosen by a national selection committee, are being celebrated for demonstrating innovation, leadership and for employing creativity in finding solutions and opportunities within their school communities. They will be recognized for their accomplishments at the annual Canada’s Outstanding Principals awards gala reception on February 26, 2019 in Toronto, Ontario.
The recipients also benefit from an executive leadership training program at the University of Toronto’s Rotman School of Management. The program will introduce them to management practices presented by business, government and education leaders as well as Rotman faculty. Principals also participate in The World of Work: 2020 and Beyond
, a professional learning day, where they have the opportunity to learn about today’s workforce from leaders in business, health and education.
The 2019 recipients will join the prestigious ranks of the National Academy of Canada’s Outstanding Principals, which now boasts more than 500 members. The National Academy offers principals ongoing networking, mentoring and professional development opportunities to enhance their leadership skills.
“From Rankin Inlet, NU to Vancouver, BC to Richmond, PEI, we are honoured to recognize principals from coast to coast to coast. Principals are so important to the success of our schools and our students. They ensure our schools are dynamic, engaging places to learn, and that students are inspired every single day. These principals are enabling students to thrive in an increasingly diverse and changing world,” says Debra D. Kerby, President & CEO of The Learning Partnership. “These 30 principals are all instrumental in connecting students, educators, families and the community together and we recognize their indispensable contributions to helping Canada continue as a global leader in education.”
In the Canada’s Outstanding Principals program, principals are nominated by their colleagues, school staff and community members. Nominations are evaluated and final recipients are selected on a representation-by-population basis by a national selection committee made up of a distinguished group of Canadian education, community and private sector leaders. Candidates are chosen using the following criteria: leadership and student achievement; leadership and innovation; instructional leadership; professional learning teams; partnerships with families and communities; personal growth initiatives; and corresponding letters of support.
Canada’s Outstanding Principals is made possible through the generous support of program partner, CIBC, as well as provincial and territorial governments across the country.
About The Learning Partnership
The Learning Partnership is a Canadian charity that prepares students to thrive in a diverse, connected and changing world. We celebrate education excellence, leveraging the best thinking from educators, business, and government to deliver experiential programs for students that cultivate entrepreneurial thinking and support social emotional learning. Since 1993, we have been helping build the foundations for students to solve tomorrow’s challenges.
For media inquiries or to arrange for interviews, please contact:
Norma Meneguzzi Spall (Primary Contact)
- The Learning Partnership celebrates the 15th year of Canada’s Outstanding Principals.
- Canada’s Outstanding Principals program is both a nationally recognized award and an executive leadership training program.
- Through the Canada’s Outstanding Principals program, The Learning Partnership recognizes principals who demonstrate innovation, have an entrepreneurial spirit and are creative in finding solutions and opportunities in their respective schools and communities.
- This year, 30 principals from across Canada have been chosen by a national selection committee on the basis of their exceptional contributions that positively impact student achievement and success.
- The program’s national selection committee, composed of leaders from government, business and education, takes into account 16 different criteria that fall into four categories, using quantitative and qualitative evidence of how the leadership of the principal has improved student achievement.
- The Canada’s Outstanding Principals executive leadership program provides principals with training in proven management skills and leadership techniques that foster excellence in schools.
- The 2019 honourees will join the ranks of the National Academy of Canada’s Outstanding Principals, which now boasts more than 500 members.
- More than 250 guests from schools, school boards, business and government attend the annual Canada’s Outstanding Principals gala every year to celebrate principals who are making a difference in their schools and communities.
- The Canada’s Outstanding Principals awards gala takes place February 26, 2019 at the Bram and Bluma Appel Salon, Toronto Reference Library in Toronto, Ontario.
The Results Group Public Relations
416-686-9110, 416-209-1216 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Manager, Marketing and Communications, The Learning Partnership
647-252-3589, 1-800-790-9113 | email@example.com