What is the Turning Points program?
Teachers and peers help students through a process of self-reflection and discussion about a significant event – a turning point – in their lives. Students then write an essay about that event to relate its significance to their present situation – and to their future. They are then encouraged to submit their essays for formal evaluation, recognition, and publication in an annual anthology. Those chosen for publication receive an engraved plaques, a copy of the anthology, and are invited to recognition events in their area.
What are the criteria for the submission of Student Essays?
Students currently in Grades 6-12 whose teachers have registered for the program are eligible to submit essays in consultation with their teacher. It is suggested that student essays be assessed/evaluated in the classroom as part of the Language (English/French/ESL/ELD) program.
- Essays must be authentic (true story)
- Essays must adhere to the maximum word count for the grade level:
- Group A Grade 6: 250 to 350 words
- Group B Grades 7 and 8: 350 to 500 words
- Group C Grades 9 and 10: 500 to 800 words
- Group D Grades 11 and12: 800 to 1,000 words
- Essays must have an effective title (note that "My Turning Point" or "Turning Point essay" will not be accepted). Title is not included in the word count.
- Student name must not appear on the essay pages.
- Essay font must be Arial, size 12.
- Entries will be assessed on the basis of originality of thought, clarity of language, organizational structure, use of conventions such as grammar and spelling, understanding of a "turning point" and impact on the reader.
- Once an essay is submitted to The Learning Partnership, the essay becomes the property of The Learning Partnership.
- Students whose essays are chosen for inclusion in the Anthology of Winning Essays will read their essays at the awards event.
Essay Submission Site Opens - Thursday, April 2, 2020
Essay Submission Site Closes - Thursday, April 9, 2020
Student Success Awards Event
Newfoundland & Labrador – Avalon
Date: May 27th
Newfoundland & Labrador – Central, Newfoundland & Labrador – Labrador
& Newfoundland & Labrador - Western
Date and place: TBA