Turning Points is only open to educators and students in Newfoundland & Labrador.
Rules of the Turning Points Essay Contest
Students currently in Grades 7 and 8 whose teachers have registered for the program are eligible to submit essays in consultation with their teacher.
- Essays must be authentic (true story)
- Essays must adhere to the maximum word count for the grade level:
- Group A Grade 6: 250 to 350 words
- Group B Grades 7 and 8: 350 to 500 words
- Group C Grades 9 and 10: 500 to 800 words
- Group D Grades 11 and12: 800 to 1,000 words
- Essays must have an effective title (note that "My Turning Point" or "Turning Point essay" will not be accepted). Title is not included in the word count.
- Student name must not appear on the essay pages.
- Entries will be assessed on the basis of originality of thought, clarity of language, organizational structure, use of conventions such as grammar and spelling, understanding of a "turning point" and impact on the reader.
- Once an essay is submitted to The Learning Partnership, the essay becomes the property of The Learning Partnership.
I understand and agree to the rules of the Turning Points Essay Contest. (You must agree to proceed with registration)*