Take Our Kids to Work™
Take Our Kids to WorkTM
I LIKE school and I LEARN a lot.
BUT when people ask me WHAT I want to be when I GROW up – I am LOST.
I am confused. How do I find my CAREER path?
Take Our Kids to WorkTM 2014 is on Wednesday, November 5th!
Connecting students with the world of work.
Thank you for making 2013, our 19th annual Take Our Kids to Work™ program an outstanding success! The Learning Partnership’s 19th annual Take Our Kids to Work™ day was a very successful, exciting event for more than 250,000 Grade 9 students across the country!
Our thanks to the 75,000 employers across Canada who hosted students on November 6, 2013. Your commitment to young people has given many students unique learning experiences and valuable knowledge that will help them make informed decisions as they plan their futures... read the full story.
Research suggests that today’s students will have multiple careers over the span of their working years. To be successful, they will need to master both new technologies and complex social and organizational systems. Learning in school becomes more effective and relevant if students can see where their education might lead them in the future. Spending a ‘day in the life’
of a profession or workplace is a fun and fascinating way to explore the world of work, think about career options, and make informed educational decisions.
What is Take Our Kids to WorkTM program?
Did you know
- This program is designed for Grade 9 or equivalent students across Canada
- Take Our Kids to Work™ Day falls on the first Wednesday in November every year
- More than 250,000 students and 75,000 organizations take part every year
- Take Our Kids to Work™ is our oldest program, launched in 1994 and spans every province and terriroty in Canada
- Take Our Kids to Work™ is a unique way to experience 'A day in the life' of a profession or work
- Organizations who register for Take Our Kids to Work™ are eligible to apply for The Learning Partnership's Canada’s Outstanding Employers Award
Take Our Kids to WorkTM
is an annual national
program in which Grade 9 (or equivalent) students are hosted by parents, relatives and volunteers at workplaces across the country every November. The program supports career development by helping students connect school, the world of work, and their own futures. Employers who register for this program are eligbile to apply for the Canada's Outstanding Employers Award. Take Our Kids to Work™ is our signature program which began in 1994 in the Greater Toronto area. Today, students across Canada, from Nunavut to Newfoundland participate in the program.
On the first Wednesday of every November Grade 9, Senior 1 (Manitoba) and Secondary III (Quebec) students spend the day in the workplace
of a parent, relative, friend or volunteer experiencing and learning about the world of work as
they begin to explore possible career paths.
Who Benefits From the Take Our Kids to Work Program?
Tips to involve all students
- Encourage parents and friends to take their son, daughter and/or a friend with them to work.
- Bring your own child to work with you if he/she is the appropriate age.
- Work with the cooperative education teacher to identify potential workplaces.
- Encourage your school and school board to involve its own employees.
- Invite workplaces that have been involved in the past to expand their participation.
The program benefits students, teachers, schools, parents, communities, organizations – and Canada’s future workforce.
Students: Experience the world of work first hand.
Students benefit because -
it’s an opportunity for them to explore career options, through:
Parents: Introduce your child to your workplace and co-workers.
- Understanding the importance of staying in school by learning first-hand what skills are required in today’s workplace
- Thinking about what aspects of their “work day” they liked and what they didn’t
- Exploring career options in a practical way and gain a better understanding of just how many career choices are open to them
- By spending a day in the life of a working adult, they develop an appreciation of their parents’ work and motivations
Parents benefit because - it helps them prepare their children for the future by:
Teachers: Help your students experience a day in the life of a mentor.
Teachers benefit because
- Sharing their work experiences with their child
- Beginning a career discussion based on actual experiences
- Enriching their child’s experience with discussions before, during and after the workplace visit
- the Take Our Kids to Work™
program allows real life experiences to bridge with learning in the classroom.
Employers: Play a role in the development of young Canadians by hosting a student.
- Helps make the connection between education and future career paths
- Demonstrates the complexity of career choices and the benefits of early exploration
- Allows teachers and students to explore career options in practical ways
Employers Benefit because - the program is an ideal way to enhance corporate social responsibility initiatives.
- Enhances employee engagement, morale and loyalty
- Showcases your workplace as progressive and committed to education
- Publicizes the range of career opportunities in your organization and sector
- Garners positive brand and corporate recognition
- Makes your company eligible to apply for a Canada’s Outstanding Employers Award
Your company becomes eligible to apply for the Canada’s Outstanding Employers Award
simply by registering your participation with us. So register today!
All registered companies that participate in Take Our Kids to Work™
day will be recognized on our website. Registered companies will also be asked to participate on in our post-event survey.
Read about Canada's Outstanding Employers Awards
View 2013 Registered Workplaces
For more information on Take Our Kids to Work™ contact:
School to Work Analyst